[RUMOR] Korea’s Music Globalization: No Military Service for TVXQ?

nanadnakatsu
    Mickey level 5
    Mickey level 5

Number of posts : 378
    Smiling points : 260

[RUMOR] Korea’s Music Globalization: No Military Service for TVXQ?

Post by nanadnakatsu on Thu 5 Feb - 13:36

Update on Korea’s Music Globalization

CREDITS TO:
    http://www.allkpop.com/
    URL: http://www.allkpop.com/index.php/full_story/update_on_koreas_music_globalization/

Tags: dbsk, big bang, girls generation, wonder girls, tvxq, rain, tohoshinki, billboard charts, ministry of culture and tourism, minister yoo

Korean Music goes Global

Earlier this week, I revealed that Korea’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism was about to launch a mission to globalize Korean music. A meeting was hosted by several government officials on February 4th at one of SM Entertainment's branches, where Minister Yoo laid out his plans for promoting and spreading Korean music across the borders. He appointed DBSK, Wonder Girls, Rain, Big Bang, and SNSD as ambassadors, although not all members were present at the meeting.

One of the main goals on the minister’s agenda is to establish a qualified, creditable Korean music chart, like USA’s Billboards, Great Britain’s UK, and Japan’s Oricon charts. Minister Yoo and his team of experts will also develop and reconfigure award fields and criteria, methods of in-depth judging and reviews, and figure out how to operate the new Kpop chart to launch something like “Korea’s Grammy Awards” as well. Of course Korea already has many awards for singers and musicians, but it seems like he REALLY wants to be able to compete with America and what not. And how is this going to help ‘spread the word’ past China, exactly?

Over the next 5 years, up to 127,500,000,000 Won out of the treasury will be committed to the project. That’s over 92 million dollars! Call me crazy, but I think they can find far better uses for that money than showing the world how great Korean music is (which IS awesome, don’t get me wrong). This just goes to show how serious they are. Forget globalization, they’re making war on all the other music industries of the world. Part of the money (about 7 million USD) are already being used to remodel the MoonHwa Contest Hall and the Olympic Hall in Seoul; the revamped buildings will be ready to use (ie for concerts) by December of this year. All because the stadiums aren’t flashy and fancy enough as of now.

That’s not all. As some of you may know, 2-year military service in Korea is compulsory. Many bands have been broken up or forced to delay activities due to the required military service (think Shinhwa), although some artists such as Kim Jong Kook have made successful comebacks even after disappearing from the entertainment scene for two years. Minister Yoo is thinking of allowing artists to delay their service indefinitely or even skip out completely. The minister’s point is that he needs the young stars while they’re still young and talented, to be able to take on busy schedules, unhindered by age. Understandably many Korean citizen have protested his proposal, claiming that making exceptions can lead to big problems, and that as idols they should be setting good examples by doing their duty to their country. All the more reason to become a celebrity, I guess.

Sorry fans, no word as of yet on any activities outside of Korea. It seems like they're concentrating on improving the industry from the inside out, which makes sense if you look at it from the long-term point of view. But so much money! Darn you LSM and JYP for giving the government such crazy ideas! Is Korea's recession proof or something? Last time I checked, they weren't doing so hot. I agree that it is important to be aware of other cultures, and I applaud Korea’s attempts to claim their place in the ever competitive, forever changing music industry. The world should know Korea’s got great music and unique culture. And seeing the lack of qualms about spending so much money on this project, it’s probably not all about profits either. But honestly, I have a feeling they’re going way overboard with this whole globalization thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Girls, what do you think? Smile
    DONG BANG SHIN KI in military service?

[remembering the hawt hawt O days]

Last edited by nanadnakatsu on Fri 27 Feb - 10:34; edited 2 times in total
    huongle
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1385
    Smiling points : 1861

Re: [RUMOR] Korea’s Music Globalization: No Military Service for TVXQ?

Post by huongle on Tue 10 Feb - 15:47

I'm pretty sure i'd be sad without them performing for me, but then... military service normally makes one finer, like a real man, so i actually want to see how they'd look like after that afro

Mickey level 5
    Mickey level 5

Post by nanadnakatsu on Wed 18 Feb - 10:58

I second that. They will get stronger and better at some points.
    But I do worry about their safety, I mean they are really beautiful for one, really popular, and are really hated by the army boyfriends whose girlfriends go kya kya at DB every night.

I forgot they've grown up already. And Changmin is already 21. AWWWWW

*weeps uncontrollably at a corner*
    shangomar

Number of posts : 162
    Smiling points : 178

Post by shangomar on Thu 26 Feb - 22:49

^yup, it'll be sad. But i think i'd be happy knowing that they still do the military services together. And i'd trust that even if they'll be in hiatus, fans would still be there.
    Very Happy
    nanadnakatsu
    Mickey level 5
    Mickey level 5

Post by nanadnakatsu on Fri 27 Feb - 10:02

I'm imagining jealous eyes from the army there! Haha how could I be so pessimistic???

Thank God I didn't have to go for NATIONAL SERVICE this year. Good Luck to friends who does get it and have fun!! Smile
    cottonpops
    Global moderator
    Global moderator

Number of posts : 465
    Smiling points : 934

Post by cottonpops on Fri 27 Feb - 11:43

It'll be very interesting to see them doing Millitary Service. But I'm looking forward to Cassiopeia's actions/activities if our boys were to serve the millitary. You know, like sending letters or packing food for them and sending it over. We all know Cassiopeia's the most loyal fanclub and what Cassiopeias are capable of.

Our boys will be deeply missed!

And yes nanadnakatsu, I too forget that they're grown ups now.
    chunnified
    Mickey level 5
    Mickey level 5

Number of posts : 207
    Smiling points : 219

Post by chunnified on Sun 1 Mar - 11:49

O_O thats alot of money.
    in my opinion, i dont really think they need all that.
    korean music & culture is already spreading like krazy.
    but whatever floats their boat, i just hope this is all a success and doesnt cause any problems T__T
    ahh, i too forget that theyre grown up now : (
    however, i support them with whatever they do.
    i think their fellow citizens will not grow jealous eyes but grateful eyes.
    i think it's be interesting to see them do their military service also
    & seeing how humble & awesome our dongbang boys are, they will probably complete their service.

thanks for sharing.
    mickybabysusu
    Mickey level 4
    Mickey level 4

Number of posts : 160
    Smiling points : 214

Post by mickybabysusu on Wed 18 Mar - 13:40

ohh god. military service. i somehow dread the day when they have to go. time flies, no?
    but, i guess itz good in some ways for them to go for military service. it'll make them stronger and whatnot. and we'll love and treasure them more after the hiatus, no?
    they'll survive, and we (cassies) will survive too. cassies are one strong loyal family. (:
    military service ain gonna change the love the fans have for dongbang I love you
    applepieprinces

Number of posts : 55
    Smiling points : 55

Post by applepieprinces on Thu 19 Mar - 10:58

i want them to go. though it would be sad cause for 2 years we wont be able to see them but being able to serve one's country should come first.

in korea not doing the military service is frowned upon. so i guess it would be best for them to go.
    huongle
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1385
    Smiling points : 1861

Post by huongle on Thu 19 Mar - 12:14

SM would lose fortunes lol!

Number of posts : 81
    Smiling points : 98

Post by jen0apple on Thu 19 Mar - 22:05

ohh that's great that they are trying to globalize korean music.. but that's MASSSSSIVE AMOUNT OF MONEY!!....><.. we could do so much with that...><.. omg.. we could get out of this recession with that money..LOLS..><.. as for the no military service for artist.. i think they should rethink that.. like i understand the condidtions but military services is what shape men.. and if take that out.. i dont know .. i feel like a lot of change is going to happen in korean.. massive protest and stuff like that... why dont they like reduce the military service.. instead of 2 years.. just make it 1 year.. lols.... so that netizens cant really say anything.. cuz like..idols.. only are idols for like a certain amount of time.. and then the next generation comes in and takes their place...understanding the govt decisions.. but they should still make them do service even thou i unwillingly dont want them to go..><.. but they have to become real men..not saying that they arent..=]...anyways.. so yeah .. hope they do sth about this! =]

Mickey level 1
    Mickey level 1

Number of posts : 13
    Smiling points : 11

Post by chromic.maze on Fri 20 Mar - 2:32

huongle wrote:SM would lose fortunes lol!

I agree haha!

I think all their fans would miss them badly. Imagine the riots and protests! I wouldn't mind, though I would hate to see them disappear with practically no news and voice for 2 years.

And oh noooooo .... I can't imagine our boys with no hair. Gosh. I suppose Jaejoong would still look okay and Junsu would get his wish (of being bald as mentioned in some interview) but YOOCHUN WITH NO HAIR??? Shocked Chunnie and his big forehead, haha!

Or do they do special requests for internationally-recognised male hot smexy idols, like allowing them to keep their hair on their heads? Very Happy

spiffy_muffin
    Mickey level 1
    Mickey level 1

Number of posts : 6
    Smiling points : 7

Post by spiffy_muffin on Mon 13 Apr - 21:04

I kind of think that, in a way, they are serving their country. They're bringing in tons more money for the economy than they would if they went for their military service. They made it in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the largest fanclub, so they're way above everyone in the amount of money they can bring to Korea.
    I'm still not sure how I stand on it though, because I think that if an exception was made for them (or all stars) there would be an uproar about how unfair it is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Feb - 15:16